Thursday 12 June 2014

Last words

             I opened my eyes to mayhem.It did not shock me.It had been like that since a couple of years.My space,my world wasn't like this, that it is now.I quickly gathered my stuff and went to the basement where I was safe from those people.It was chaos.I didn't know what to do.I had lost my family to this crisis.I had nothing to lose,but I had decided that this is not how I wanted my life to end.My mother made me promise her that I would die with dignity,but lately I had lost hope hearing all these news of people dying,looking at the corpses lying on the roads- unidentified- covered with dust and dried blood.I was too tired to fight,I got out of my basement only to notice that those people had left.I realised that I had no strength or the courage to do so.
           I noticed a crowd, I found it hard to step towards the crowd because I could hear a child crying.It was painful,more painful then watching my family die,more painful then the fearful nights that I had spent in my own house and more fearful then death.I knew something was worst then it ever was because here,in Syria we had seen a lot of terrible things.I peered through the crowd and saw the little kid.
           It felt that somebody had stabbed something in my heart to see a kid that small be in pain.I knew him.He used to play around sometimes when there were no patrolling.I had seen him laugh and fall and kick the ball so hard that it landed near my feet.We had no conversations,but he had a cute smile.I had heard him laugh,but had never heard any words spoken by him.
           People around me had just went bonkers trying to find help and some were trying to make him feel better.I was frozen.It struck me that...what the hell was happening? No one had deserve to die like that,let alone a kid.What had gone so wrong that people were treated like this? People had to live in their own country with so much of fear.Was life so cheap?Was God just watching all this? 
           He was crying so much that it was difficult for him to catch his breath.And then he said,"I am gonna tell god everything". The first.the last,and the only words I heard from that little kids mouth were those.And moments later he died.I hadn't realised that I was crying.But I was happy for the little one that he didn't had to return to the basement where he had to wait for either a miracle or death!


P.S : This a fictional story inspired by a dreadful death of three year old who died in the Syrian crisis.And yes those were his last words.

2 comments: