Monday 9 June 2014

What happened to "Be nice"?


  I was reading this book recently, The Second Coming by John Niven.
It is a hilarious book on how God takes a vacation for a week or something and when He returns He sees His creation in shambles.And decides to send His beloved son Jesus to go and teach people down there of the basic commandment of "Being nice"
   It's an amazingly written book.But the whole concept of being nice got me thinking of how such a simple and basic thought has vanished from the human community.I mean how difficult is it to be nice to a fellow human? I thought over a series of events that I encountered and joined the dots.
   I was travelling by train  during peak hours and was in a rush to reach home because it was quite late and was already frustrated over the series of phone calls my mother had made to make sure I reach home fast. (I belong to a conservative South-Indian family,what do you expect?) There was this lady who was around 50's and was struggling with four heavy bags.She was literally trembling because of the crowd and the baggage.So I offered to help her,I helped her to get a rickshaw out of the station and then went on my way.I had no thought in my mind.I got a chocolate I was a happy kid.I reached home narrated the story feeling all proud over my good deed.My Appa's expression changed."See,It is good that you helped a stranger,but the world outside is evil People aren't good anymore.You need to be careful." I was amused at his respone.He sensed it and gave me series of examples of how people are tricked and kidnapped.The conversation went from helping someone to women trafficking.
  I couldn't digest these facts and the types of crimes that took place so I went and looked it up on Internet.It was true.The statistics are terrifying.
  It actually explains why people are fearful and not open enough to trust anyone.But is it really that bad out there? The concept of being nice is going to be vanished forever.I really miss the days when The scouts in the school use to get brownie points for conducting a good deed and it stayed forever.The thought process is so infiltrated these days that it's Bizarre.
But I still hope that I could be nice to people without any fear.
I would love to try.


6 comments: