Sunday 18 May 2014

Just Like Shobha!

                                                Strolling around have always been one of my favorite things to do when I have some me time! And there’s a park near my locality where I go for a walk during the evenings to watch the sunset. One fine evening I was just sitting in my spot wired up in my thoughts, Staring at the orange sky. This man just came and sat on the bench! His face was wrinkled, He was around 65 years old with silver hair and mustache, but had this flushed face of a much younger man! He said, “It’s beautiful isn’t it?” I agreed and shook my head in agreement!

                               “So what do you do beta?”,He asked. “I am a student studying Journalism” I answered.  “Oh that is impressive”, he smiled back.  I remembered my grandpa’s face when I had told him that I wanted to be a Journalist. He had the similar expression. “My Laxmi also writes well..But she doesn’t appreciate her own talent. I have read her stories! I really liked them!” He laughed with a tad bit of innocence. “So what does she do?’ ,I queried. “She teaches, she is an excellent teacher .She just joined this international school in Thane.” I was confused because I didn’t know who he was talking about his daughter or someone else. “Uncle, Laxmi is your? “ He figured the conundrum from my facial expression. “Oh she is my grand- daughter!  “Oh I thought…” He didn’t let me complete. His face dropped. His smile faded away. Maybe I had struck a wrong chord. But I didn’t know how to react. We just sat there in complete silence.”He turned and spoke “Laxmi is my grand-daughter I raised her after my daughter and son-in-law died during the floods in Bombay..She was a toddler when we got this news..She waited near the window of their Colaba apartment for her parents to return from office but they didn’t. When we reached there she jumped into my arms and asked me where she was? We had no answers..You know what is the worst possible thing for a parent? To see their kids pass away. I have seen Shobha , my daughter, weep ,laugh, sleep, I have seen every phase of her life  but my fate made me see her on that burning pyre. 

                                      He continued speaking with his eyes welling up.” Since then Laxmi is with us. Now when she drapes her Saree along just like her mother, applies Kajal in her big potato eyes.. Takes my blessing before starting her day .I see my daughter in her. She is just like Shobha .I have been paying for her education from my pension and to appreciate that she bought me a Shirt and a silk saree for her ammayi from her first salary.” She said, I love you tataya..Whatever you have done for me is irreplaceable “. He wiped his eyes and smiled at me. He felt relieved and light. Maybe He didn’t speak about this to anybody. Maybe he didn’t have anybody to speak to about it. He was so proud of her Laxmi, that he told his story to a complete stranger. He said, “I am sorry to bother you..I..just..” .“Its okay uncle! I like stories especially from elderly people” He laughed at my remark. “I should get going, you too should leave its getting dark” See you later. Take care beta! Reach home safely. He kept his hand on my head and walked away! I came back home reminiscing my memories with my grandpa!

And wrote this :)

2 comments: